The 22nd Fishermen’s Meeting, held on 5-7 October 2017 in Rabac and organized by the Croatian Chamber of Trades and Crafts drew to a close with the announcement of the official Conclusions. The meeting was sponsored by the company Crodux.
The Istria County Chamber of Trades and Crafts hosted the event with support from the town of Labin and under the patronage of the Ministry of Agriculture.
Over two hundred participants took part in the Meeting, including fishermen from all over Croatia, representatives of scientific and professional institutions, and delegates from ministries and directorates dealing with fisheries related activities.
Numerous participants attended the thematic presentations and discussions which held on two occasions during the Meeting, after which the following conclusions were adopted:
- Following the long-standing request by the Guild for fishing, aquaculture and agriculture of the Croatian Chamber of Trades and Crafts for changes in the Maritime Code and the Maritime Domain and Seaports Act in relation to the overall fisheries issues regulated by these laws, we insist that by the end of this year, the Ministry of the Sea, Transport and Infrastructure make urgent changes of articles in the part relating to fisheries as a strategic economic sector of the Republic of Croatia.
- We ask the Ministry of the Sea, Transport and Infrastructure to strengthen joint cooperation with the Ministry of Agriculture in the area relating to tackling issues affecting fisheries.
- We ask that a Central State Fisheries Office be established.
- We ask for an estimate to be carried out on the impact of predation of the gilt-head bream on Croatian shellfish farming, the development and implementation of measures to reduce the damage caused by predation and the creation of conditions for granting maritime domain concessions for operational requirements of shellfish farming.
- We ask that fishermen who are holders of commercial fishing licenses be granted accelerated pensionable service.
- We ask for increased surveillance in the segment of non-commercial sea fishing.
- We ask for a reduction in VAT on fish and other marine organisms.
- We propose that the next Fishermen’s Meeting be held in Primorje-Gorski Kotar County.
Crofish was also present at the Meeting with an exhibition stand, promoting the fair to the Meeting participants.